I still remember that day. The last weekend in May. Sunny skies, tons of friends, a heart full of dreams, and me in a blue cap and gown. I was ready to take on the world. I was graduating from highschool! Why this sudden recollection of meloncholy you might ask? Every spring, when school is out for the summer, I always get a little sentimental. Who knows, maybe because one chapter is ending and another is starting, maybe because I hate change, so I get sad. Like I said," who knows?"
So, last night, I was driving home and the fresh breeze hit my nose and I was taken back to that day in 2004. I remember thinking that life could only get better from there on out. This is when I start life for real, right? I can start being a grown up!
Now, I'm only 23, soon to be 24 in a little under a month, so I'm not exactly well versed nor well weathered in the concept of life. But, I do know that life can deal us things that aren't exactly the things we had in mind on our graduation day. I spent the next few years rushing about and filling my schedule with too many things, too many people, and too many places. I never stopped and just rested for a little bit. Recently, I heard someone say," God loves us to be still, to know He is God. He wants to relax us, like an unflexed muscle, to give us peace, and to fill our hearts with His love." That hit me hard. I had just spent the past 6 years rushing and running, changing and moving. In that process, I stopped resting. Recently, I have allowed myself to just stop. Stop with the fuss, the constant struggle of everyday life, and just REST. My goal is to just let God's peace fill up my life. I'm in a place right now in my life where I can do just that.
I can't tell you how much of a change it has made in my life, in my heart, in my dreams. I encourage you, if you need to, just relax. The Bible promises that the peace of God, that passes ALL understanding, with fill our heart and minds.
"So, congratulations class of 2004,WE DID IT"- Elle Woods, Legally Blonde
(c'mon, what other movie did you expect me to quote???)
Monday, May 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
a very heartfelt post, my Friend. You know, Iowa is a great place to get some rest and peace. There's never much going on here. :)
ReplyDeleteMarni, you write beautifully! What a great reminder...I have been repeating that verse in my head for the past month, reminding myself that the peace of God surpasses anything I can understand. Thanks for the heartfelt words! Ps. this is the other Ewing :)
ReplyDelete